November 14, 2022 I Budget Meeting & Special Meeting
December 22, 2022/Comments Off on November 14, 2022 I Budget Meeting & Special Meeting
The Town Board met at the Cedar Lake Town Hall in Mikana, 2696 26- 26 ¾ Ave., on Monday, November 14, 2022 at the Cedar Lake Town Hall at 6:00 PM for the purpose of notice of 2023 budget.
Present was Ken Leners, Chairman, Supervisor Tony Wolff, Clerk Maryhelen Drew, Treasurer Gladys Roux. Absent was Supervisor Kory Weiss. Twenty other persons were in attendance. The Pledge of Allegiance began the meeting.
- Ken explained that there would be three meetings beginning with the Notice of Public Hearing,second would have the electors approve the expenditures and levy for 2023, the last meeting would have the town board adopt the town budget.
- Ken then went over the proposed budget for 2023. Tony was asked about extra funds in the budget for a deputy clerk who could be trained before Maryhelen retires. It was explained about public works funds and how they would be spent in 2023.
- The next subject of discussion was the request for $10,000 for the fireworks for 2023. It was explained by several who attended that the fireworks have never been part of the parade committee as there had always been an anonymous person who took care of this expense. As of two years ago that person, due to liability issues, has not donated. So, therefore, funds need to be gotten from other resources. It was discussed as to where the monies which are raised by the parade committee are spent. There are many charities in the area who benefit. It is recognized that all this fundraising is done with many volunteers. It appears that this news needs to get out to everyone so that fundraising can occur for the fireworks. Many years the Town has paid the insurance for the parade, but now they are asking for funds for the fireworks. In 2018 the cost was $13,000, 2021 $10,000, 2022 $10,000. In order to come back to the fireworks like they were before could cost anywhere from $18,000 to $20,000.
- After much discussion, Ken mentioned that the Town may need to put some seed money in for next year until people realize donations are needed. Ken explained when looking for money in the budget, we go to Hwy. maintenance,which lessens the road work for the year. Tony is saying that this is the first time he has heard about the firework funds. He does not feel that it is appropriate to use taxpayer funds for the fireworks. He would like to see that the word gets out to all that donations are needed. Tom Nanstad said not to dump this all on the parade committee as they are struggling already with volunteers. Maybe we should create a separate committee. Tony still does not feel that this is a taxpayer event. Mike Hessling feels that there should be an effort made at fundraising and will volunteer to help with this so taxpayers don’t pay. Ken has put this item in the letter which will go out with the December tax statement. The word needs to get out, cans at businesses, posters, flyers, direct mailing.
- Kathaleen Minitari suggested that maybe for 2023 the town could throw some funds in. It was determined that $1,000 would be for the insurance for the parade and a one time donation of $4,000 for 2023.
- Next Ken talked about the debt service at Dairy State Bank for the new building for the BFCESD. The first payment is due on Dec, 15th. This will be sent by the bank out of the construction loan which we have.
- As there were no further questions regarding the proposed budget, Ken made a motion to adjourn the budget hearing meeting. Tony seconded the motion. (6:58)
- Louie Okey made the motion to approve the budget for 2023 as was presented at the Budget Hearing. Mary Hele seconded. A hand count was taken with 19 in favor and none opposed. Motion passed.
- Mary Helen made the motion to adjourn this portion of the meeting. This was seconded by Tom Nanstad. All approved.
SPECIAL TOWN BOARD MEETING
- Ken made the motion to adopt the budget as approved by the electors. Tony seconded with no discussion. Ken, yes: Tony,yes. Motion passed.
- Ken made the motion to adjourn the meeting. This was seconded by Tony seconded. (7:00PM)